Eastfield College Logo
The mission of Eastfield College is to provide excellence in teaching and learning.

I-20 Guidelines

Enclosed with this letter you will find pages 1, 2, and 3 of your I-20, documents used to obtain a United States visa from the U.S. Consulate. Please read through the following information below pertaining to the I-20 form.

Before arriving in the United States

Applying for an F-1 Visa: In some countries, the U.S. Embassy or Consulate requires that applicants mail in their application. In other countries, applicants must apply in person and undergo an oral interview. Regardless of whether you walk in or mail in your application, in addition to your I-20 and passport, you must show proof to the visa officer of two things:

  1. That you have sufficient funds to finance your educational program in the United States and that you have the means to transfer these funds. A copy of the award letter or bank statement from your sponsor should satisfy this requirement.
  2. That you intend to return to your home country after completion of your studies. It is helpful to bring additional documentation to the embassy for these purposes, such as proof of employment upon your return and/or a permanent home of residence.

*Be sure to apply for the appropriate visa. When you have received the sealed envelope containing your I-20, please DO NOT BREAK THE SEAL and open the envelope. Do not plan to enter the US on a B-2 Tourist Visa or by way of the visa waiver program (WT).

At the port of entry to the United States:

When entering the U.S., you will need your passport, visa, and I-20 in the sealed envelope. At the port of entry to the U.S., an immigration officer will open the sealed envelope containing your I-20. The officer will then stamp page 1 (student copy) of your I-20 and return the I-20 to you for your records. You will also be given a white card called I-94. This card, kept in your passport, has an 11 digit number and will also be stamped at the port of entry.

Before coming to Eastfield College

Please make copies of your passport (picture and signature pages), your I-20 page with the stamp from the port of entry, both sides of your I-94, and former I-20's from other U.S. Schools. These copies will be collected upon your first meeting with an International Student Advisor in the English Language Learning Advisement (ELLA) Center. Please read page 2 of the I-20 school copy, so you will be informed of rules and regulations regarding F-1 students.

Reading the expenses on your I-20 form

Number 7 on your I-20 form lists expenses broken into tuition and fees. Living expenses, expenses of dependents, and others. These expenses are all subject to change without notice.

Tuition and fees, section 7a, refers to tuition and fees for two semesters, fall and spring, and does not include the cost if you choose to take classes during the summer session. *If you plan on taking summer classes, you should plan to pay more.

Living expenses, section 7b, refers to the amount needed to have an apartment, food, transportation, and personal expenses for one full year. This number reflects use of public transportation. *If you would like to purchase a car, you should plan to pay more.

Expenses of dependents, section 7c, refers to money that you will need if you wish to bring your spouse or child to the U.S. on an F2 visa. *If you wish to have a spouse or child come to the U.S., you will need to provide an original bank statement showing US $5000 for your spouse and/or US $3000 for each child that you sponsor. This is in addition to your own financial support.

You should bring with you at least US $3000 (preferably in Traveler's Checks) to cover living costs and tuition, fees, and any other expenses for the first month. In addition, you should obtain at least US $100 (cash) before leaving your country for travel expenses, you may wish to defer your arrival to the next semester allowing time to secure financial funding.

Tuberculosis testing

Please note: If a student's TB (tuberculosis) test was administered outside the United States, the student will be required to receive another TB test.

New F1 student online orientation is mandatory

All new F1 students are required to read the F1 Student Online Orientation and acknowledge that they have done so by completing the activity at the end of the orientation.

You may phone or email us at:

Phone: 972-860-8338

Email: efcglobal@dcccd.edu

Eastfield College
International Student Advisor
ELLA Center - C112
3737 Motley Dr.
Mesquite, TX 75150